Pet Health Certificates
USDA certified veterinarian on staff.
Health Certificates (Certificate of Veterinary Inspection) for traveling with your pet
A Health Certificate (also called a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection) is a legal document that requires the signature of a USDA-accredited Veterinarian.
- Prior to seeing your pet(s) for a Health Certificate/CVI, there is a $50 Research Fee you will need to pay if you are traveling anywhere other than the 48 contiguous states or Alaska. If you are traveling to Mexico, please click here.
- Before scheduling an appointment with one of our USDA accredited veterinarians you may want to visit the USDA APHIS website for information on what is required for your destination. (see below for the appropriate links)
- It will take more than 2 days to create your pet’s Health Certificate/CVI. Some Health Certificates/CVIs may take up to a year! Please plan ahead.
- Expedited Health Certificates (less than 2 Business Days) are only available if you are traveling within the contiguous 48 states or Alaska (all states except Hawaii.) An Expedited Health Certificate will have an additional fee of $50.
Traveling to another State or Foreign Country with your pet can be very complicated and meeting the requirements can be time consuming.
- Understand the Requirements of the State or Foreign Country where you will be taking the pet. It is your responsibility to understand these requirements and make certain that your pet meets them. Use the links below to find the information you will need.
- Fill out the Form Below COMPLETELY and then click “Submit.” An incomplete form will slow down the process for you and your pet and will likely result in additional fees.
- If you are traveling anywhere other than the 48 Contiguous States or Alaska, you will need to call and pay the $50 Research Fee after submitting the FORM below. We can take payment over the phone or you can be sent a payment link to your smartphone. The Doctor will research your destination and then you will be called with the estimated total cost for the Health Certificate/CVI, including required tests and vaccinations. (We will do our best to deliver an accurate estimate, but countries do change the travel requirements frequently, so our estimate will be based on the most current information.)
- Once you have the necessary documents, make an appointment with one of the USDA-accredited Doctors (Dr. Klingborg, Dr. McFadden, Dr. Lauppe) to go over the paperwork with you and determine what requirements (tests, vaccines, etc) will need to be met before travel.
- You will be required to sign a Waiver of Responsibility Form which places the burden on you to make certain that the correct information is on the necessary paperwork. The link for this form is here and also at the bottom of this page.
- We reserve the right to decline to create a Health Certificate/CVI, depending on the circumstances. In other words, some countries make the process so complex (because they really don’t want your pet to enter their country) that it is simply too challenging. Requirements change often, so we will wait until you have indicated your commitment to traveling and paid the $50 Research Fee before we begin the Research process.
Health Certificate Fees
Tier I Health Certificate: For pets traveling within the United States (excluding Hawaii.)— $50 Health Certificate/CVI + Physical Exam $50— An Expedited Health Certificate/CVI is only available for Tier I Travel and is an additional $50.
Tier II Health Certificate: For pets traveling to Hawaii—$50 Research Fee + $100 - $300 Health Certificate/CVI + Physical Exam $50 + the retail cost of any necessary testing or vaccinations— price varies based on complexity of requirements and we will inform you of the price after completing our Research.
Tier III Health Certificates: For pets traveling to Foreign Countries (except Mexico)— $50 Research Fee + $100 - $1,000 Health Certificate/CVI + Physical Exam $50 + the retail cost of any necessary testing or vaccinations— price varies based on complexity of requirements and we will inform you of the price after completing our Research.
Traveling with your pet to another state may be very complicated. Each state has its own laws and requirements. It is your responsibility to make certain that all of the requirements are met.
The website below will allow you to search by State for your pet’s destination. In some cases, it may take several months (and up to a year) to meet all of the requirements before a Health Certificate or Certificate of Veterinary Inspection may be issued for your pet.
Traveling with your pet to a foreign country is very complicated. Each nation has its own laws and requirements. It is your responsibility to make certain that all of the requirements are met.
The website below will allow you to search by Foreign Country for your pet’s destination. In some cases, it may take several months (and up to a year) to meet all of the requirements before an International Health Certificate or Certificate of Veterinary Inspection may be issued for your pet.
Please fill out the form below to begin the Health Certificate Process. This is a process. How long it will take depends on many factors, including: The pet’s age and vaccine status, and the requirements from the destination.
Please fill out both forms below prior to scheduling your appointment.