At Valley Animal Hospital of Merced, our Spays & Neuters include:
1) Pre-anesthetic Physical Exam
2) Pre-Surgery Blood Work to check for signs of hidden disease, anemia or other problems that might increase the risk of surgery
3) Pain medication before we've even started surgery-- studies show that giving a dose of pain medication prior to surgery reduces the overall post-operative pain in animals
4) Monitoring with a Pulse Oximeter and a Surgery Nurse.
5) Pain medication during surgery-- while your pet is asleep, he or she will receive an injection to reduce pain.
6) Surgery performed by the Doctor (of course.)
7) Pain control after surgery-- for dogs, this is usually three days of treatment with a flavored pill or liquid medicine. In cats, we give a long acting pain injection that helps control discomfort for 3 days.
8) Pets go home the same day as the surgery-- no overnight stays needed, because your pet is happier at home!
9) All 'absorbable' stitches that will dissolve away on their own-- you and your pet won't be inconvenienced by another trip to the vet to get the stitches out.
10) Spay and Neuter surgeries qualify for our Loyalty Rewards Program. If you enroll in the program, you'll earn 5% of the total cost toward you next visit!
For Dogs: Our prices* range from $150 - $193 depending the size and gender of your dog. (Bigger dogs need more anesthesia and pain medication & a spay surgery is more complicated than a neuter.)
For Cats: Our prices* range from $105 - $140 depending on the gender of your cat.
*There are additional fees for females that are pregnant, in heat or lactating (breast feeding). We will charge $15 -$20 for a flea treatment (that lasts 30 days) if your pet has numerous fleas-- because fleas are harmful to your pet that is recovering from surgery!
Please call if you need more information
or to schedule your pet's surgery
Note: Spay & Neuter surgeries provided through discounted programs such as New Beginnings for Animals or Merced County SNAP program do not include blood work or post-operative pain medication. However, you may purchase these services for a small fee! Discounted Spay/Neuter and other procedures performed during a discounted spay/neuter do not qualify for our Loyalty Rewards Program.
Spay and Neuter
The Spay and Neuter services provided by Valley Animal Hospital are permanent birth control against unwanted litters of puppies and kittens.
Spaying: Ovariohysterectomy of females: Did you know that statistically 1 in 4, or 25 %, of female dogs risk development of malignant breast cancer if never spayed? That should an unspayed female dog or cat develop a uterine infection they will die without surgery (uterine infections do not respond to antibiotic pills.) Birth control is a plus in a world where 1 in 5 puppies or kittens are expected to find permanent homes – if you love your pet, have her spayed by 6 months of age or as soon as her planned breeding has completed.
Neutering, for male dogs and cats, has additional benefits as well, as it has been proven to prevent testicular cancer and infections or cancer of the prostate in males. If you have questions about our spay and neuter services, we would be happy to answer them for you and schedule a visit for your pet.
We cooperate with several local area Rescue groups and participate in the Merced County Animal Control sponsored Spay Program to provide reduced-fee spay and neuter surgeries for families of need.